Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On seeing a friend do her show for the first time...

So, on the weekend, I got to see a friend of mine perform her show for the first time. And yes, I realise that sounds like a bit of a brag, but, yes, it is true.  I have long known she was a singer, both teaching at a school, and performing. Most of what she gets to do is entertaining kids via her YellowKat routine, but she does also write and sing songs from an adult point of view. And they are all highly personal, dare one say, therapeutic songs.

Now I have to say, before anything else, how wonderful it is to hear a singer whose words you can actually hear, because their diction is so clear. The fact that I hardly knew any of her songs did not matter, because she is such a vivid performer. She brought her songs to life with the passion that inspired them to be written in the first place.

And, as a singing teacher, she knows how to use her voice to bring things to life, without putting her voice under massive strain, so the last song came through clear, just like the first did. And those songs told stories, of her concerns for her son, of how some people annoyed the hell out of her, of her troubles with the house she and her husband bought.

I will also state for the record, that her music style is not really my kettle of fish per se. I mean, my love of opera and other classical music is hardly a secret here. But, considering it was a pop concert, the fact that I did enjoy it, says a lot about the skills of the performer.

And really, I could try to describe why I liked it, but really, just know it was good. Very good. You too can sample how good. She is performing again 7th July at Mars Hill Cafe in Parramatta. Or, you can try/buy her music via Bandcamp here 

I might also add, she is one of those people who deserve to be much more popular than she is. Trust me on this.

Yes, I saw Helen Perris and I enjoyed it. I may start buying friends her EP, for birthday gifts, just because...


No comments: