Monday, September 11, 2006

Sport - am I turning straight????

On Friday night after going out for some post work drinks with 100 or so of my closest friends (!) the gorgeous man and I went to dinner in Enmore at Kaffenes, a Greek restaurant we had looked at many times while going to other places, meaning to check out one day, seeing as it always was full of Greek-looking individuals. Seeing patrons that looked like they belong to the relevant ethnic group in an ethnic based restaurant is usually a good sign, which made us both suspect it was worth visiting.

Food wise, and service wise it was fabulous. The staff were friendly, and the food was yummy. Price wise it was higher than we would normally spend per course, but then, we are spoilt living in the greater Newtown area. Where else can you eat in a cafe and get a 2 course meal with change from $20 and enjoy it?

But the reason Friday night's dinner is so blog worthy was what was going on while we were there....

Any one that knows me knows I do not follow sports much at all. I am the sort who would rather play sport than watch them, especially the usual sports that every one talks about at work each week, like Rugby League, AFL, Cricket, not that I have been playing much sport lately, well, much sport outside ;-) Diving, yes, I will watch for hours, happily, or gymnastics, as much for the perve value as for the brilliance of the performances.

So anyway, I was facing away from the street, the gorgeous man was facing the street. This restaurant had a big screen, which I found myself facing, on which they were showing the league match as it was broadcast, between Newcastle and Manly, a match which there had been much discussion about at work. I had been of the opinion (purely from picking up things I hear at work) that Newcastle were going to win, and convincingly, but as we sat down, Manly were winning. While we were at the restaurant, I was finding it hard to focus on the gorgeous one, being distracted by what was going on in the game.

Now, while I am easily distracted at the best of times, this was just not like me. I avoid rugby league like the plague normally. I like looking at some of the guys, sure, but watching them play? Normally can't be bothered. What is going on? Could I finally be discovering my inner straight boy? Scary!!!!!

No comments: